Sunday, December 09, 2012

Movember 2012

Another Movember in the books.

"During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on thousands of men’s faces, in Canada and around the world. With their “Mo’s”, these men raise vital funds and awareness for men's health, specifically prostate cancer and male mental health initiatives."

For reason's I cannot fully explain this year Movember had a different feel to it for me. Maybe it was the overshadowing of my new engagement, the novelty loss of everyone and their dog participating or the realization that with everybody doing it, I am basically just getting caught up in slacktivism rather than awareness raising.  Either way, once again I grew out the Mo.

As we were in San Francisco for the first part of the month I made Christina a deal that I would leave the full beard as opposed to the mustache (for pictures sake) in exchange for a donation. So on November 11th I said goodbye to the beard and hello to Movember.


The mustache came in well leading upto what has become my favorite part of the month: The Mike Miller Movember Bonspiel. With my top notch team of curling experts assembled we took to the ice.






On the rink we were a comedy of errors with the sole athletic highlight of the day coming from Greg winning the "Indian Leg Wrestling" match for the hammer before our 3rd game.  BTW: I think this should be the method of deciding the hammer for the Brier and Tournament of Hearts.


Where our team excelled was looking good and drinking beer. Or at least I was good at drinking beer.




After introducing Movember to my workplace last year I stepped back as Mo Sista Dawna took over and brought it to a whole new level. Here's a picture of the firms Mustache growers and their supporters.

And our firms Man of Movember, Josh, rocking the custom made belt.

As I mentioned at the beginning of the post, this year just felt different. I still believe in the cause and in the need for awareness in testing but I'm just not sure if I'll grow the Mo again next year. 

So in closing.
Thank you to those who sponsored me this year. Mom, Stephanie, Chrissy, Dawna, ONPA Architects, Stephen, & Andrew. Your donation was very much appreciated. 

Enjoy this last picture below. It may be awhile till I look this good again.





No comments: