Sunday, May 27, 2012

Hanging at the Castle (Chrissy Sojourn Part 3)

No trip to Banff is complete without a visit to Banff Springs Hotel.  The place has always held a fascination for me since my very first visit. I remember driving there with Mom, Dad and Monica many years ago for my cousins wedding. We stayed in pretty crappy motels on the way, so when we pulled up to the Hotel I was completely confused. Adding to my confusion was the name of the valet who offered to park our car - Jesus.
I knew that he wasn't Bible Jesus, as he was obviously Mexican,  but I couldn't figure out why a mother would name their son after the bearded one. For a kid from whitewashed Saskatchewan it was something to see.
There are so many great rooms and spots in the building that it's hard to pick a favorite. But if you made me do so...it would be Stephen Hall. On our last trip to the Castle, Chrissy and I read the paper in that room and posed for each other.
I don't where socks that often, but when I do, they are knee highs and take the place of longjohns (which I never where). For this reason, Christina thought me 'pulling up my socks' was picture worthy.
Only the most natural of poses
Attending the make-believe ball in our hiking gear.
After wandering around the town Christina offered to buy me supper at the ritzy Bow Valley Grill at the Hotel, so we got dressed up a bit and headed out. Part of the agreement for me to attend a ritzy restaurant (which I really don't like doing) is that Chrissy had to goto the Waldhaus Pub at the Castle with me for a pint. She reluctantly agreed.
Serious boozing....
Supper was pretty good. On a trip to the washroom (near the haunted stairs) I ended up seeing this absolutely badass picture. Someone needs to incorporate this snow plow train into a zombie killing locomotive in a horror movie - NOW.
Once again, a visit  to the castle didn't disappoint.  I am already looking forward to the next trip.


No comments: