Sunday, August 21, 2011

U2 in Edmonton

In the beginning of June this year U2 played their long expected show at Commonwealth Stadium here in Edmonton. I say long expected, because they were expected to play the show in June 2010 but Bono hurt his back and scheduled tour stops had to be postponed. This of course happened after a full year of waiting as tickets were first announced and purchased in late 2009.

In early June you never know what type of weather you're going to get but we couldn't have asked for a more 'beautiful day (lame pun).

After getting a couple of beers we walked around the stadium taking it all in before heading to our seats.
The stage of the U2 360 tour was huge.  In the broad daylight it was impressive but also somewhat strange looking. We later learned that it was supposed to be a giant spaceship. Below is the view from our seats.
We were lucky enough to have Ed and Amber from work as our seat neighbours. Ed was also our seat hook-up. What a guy!
The Fray were the openers and were lame. By the time U2 hit the stage it was around 9 o'clock. Although they sounded good and were playing some of my favorites from Achtung Baby I couldn't really get into it. I think it was because it was so bloody bright out. One of the weird circumstances of living in a northern city.
Bono in general is a small dude so from a distance he appears just tiny. Often times we would just find ourselves watching him on the big screen.
 Once it started to get dark out the whole show seemed to get considerably better as the stage became an active participant. The multiple colours and moving parts were a little mesmerizing and definitely made the show more memorable.
Looking back on the show now I am thankful that I went. I don't know if I ever need to see another giant stadium show again but I can now scratch U2 off my list of concerts to see.

No comments: