Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Edmonton Opera - La Boheme

As mentioned before here, and here I am a member of the board on Edmonton Opera: encore!, the young professionals branch of the Edmonton Opera. This past weekend marked the beginning of the new season. The first opera of the year is the much loved La Boheme. The night before opening night the encore! group got an on-stage and behind the scenes tour as a membership perk.

The stage was set with the bedroom of the opening scene. My favorite part was the effects done to the 'dirty windows', they were really just screens with extra plaster and perfect lighting that gave them the slightly abused look.
  The centrepiece of the 2nd act: Momus. This eventually is expanded into a huge set piece that
takes up the whole stage and is a marvel to see. 
 The technicians took some time to explain all the different lighting options they can do at the Jubilee Auditorium. Christina got the stained glass spotlight here.
 
I don't know why but I was completely enthralled by all the rope.
 Some really well done props to add authenticity to the Paris streets. 
 
I've been in the back of the Jubilee a few times and every time I see this wall of posters I just sit, stare and admire all the great pieces of art.
 The dressing rooms are pretty small, they must be just packed pre-showtime. Not good if you're claustrophobic. The costumes themselves are quite impressive; feather caps, heavy tapestries, and personalized wigs.
This Thursday I'm going to the show with the encore! group and I can't wait to see the spectacle of it all.

1 comment:

mythstin said...

Great post! Wish I could be there tomorrow night!