Sunday, March 28, 2010

My 31st Birthday

Started off like any day as I walked to work.  However as soon as I got into the office I found my birthday gift from my co-workers who I share an office with.

Apparently Michael spent a good portion of the previous night working on it as he sent the following e-mail below at about 2:30am. 

--------------------
From: Michael Lam

Sent: March 26, 2010 2:32 AM
Subject: Happy Birthday Stuart!

Hi Teammates!

So… it is Stuart's birthday today!!!! YA… Stuart has a birthday like each of us, although he consistently denies he has one nor he wanted people to throw a big party for him…

BUT!!! Who listens to Stuart anyways…. So Jamie and I decided to do something for him!

When we acquired the bookcase, Stuart made a comment: "I want a Batman and Superman bookend like this, they are my hero, I love them!!!!!"




Well well well…. When we went on eBay and found out those two heroes would cost $300… and figured "That's way above our pay grade!"

So I decided to make one for him and ding ding ding ding ding ding, "Barbie's bookend!"


Let me introduce you to our two ladies, the one on the left is "Cutie Barbie" and the one on the right is "Girly Barbie". (That's they real name… don't ask me how I know…)


So the two blondes' are sitting at Stuart's desk, waiting for the glue to dry!!

I just can't wait to see his face, I know he would love them :)

It would be nice that if we can say "Happy Birthday" when we see him today…. just keep it low profile :)

Who doesn't get a surprise for his birthday, right?!

Time to go home,
Michael

----------------


Needless to say I think it's pretty awesome.

About Michael: He's a young guy recently graduated from the UofA. He is originally from Hong Kong, his speaking english is very good but you can see from above his writing isn't always the greatest.  I've nicknamed him "PopPop" as I have figured out his modus. He has come to Canada solely to impregnate women and expand the Chinese influence. 

Here's PopPop
I share an office with PopPop and Jamie. Jamie arranged a bit of a birthday party around 2pm with special cupcakes. They are pretty much ideal office mates.


This is the view from my office window. We had some fresh snow this morning.



After the cupcake birthday party I went to the Edmonton Research Park for their monthly social.  The social pretty much revolves around the ping pong table.  I partnered with PopPop and played the ladies seen here. They smoked us. Just my luck to have the only Asian in the world not good at ping pong as my partner.
  
After work I went to Teddy's with Christina http://www.teddys.ca/ for a birthday supper. Awesome as always.

My birthday finished up with a hockey game. It was the final league game of the season before playoffs. We lost 2-1 and finished in eighth out about 12 teams. 




Overall a good day. 

2 comments:

Monica said...

Thanks for the recap of your birthday! The bookends are awesome. Cool office mates!

We had a good time in S'toon celebrating your bday in your absence. Thanks for the occasion for turkey and stuffing!

Gigglestuff said...

Awesome Barbie bookends! Brilliant job Michael! You rock the Chinese ingenuity and speedy work (I'm Chinese too, btw). Looks like an all around great day Stu.